The MPS in Sustainable Interior Environments (MPS-S) is a post-professional program structured to prepare design professionals to assume leadership roles in developing and maintaining sustainable interior spaces that will positively impact the world.
Intended for those working in the design or architecture professions, the program provides students with a thorough grounding in the best practices in environmentally informed designs for the interior. Upon completion of the MPS-S program, students are in a position to sit for LEED AP Accreditation — a highly sought-after credential.
Students are exposed to a wide range of topics, research methods, integrated design development methodologies, and sustainable project management practices. Coursework addresses the history and theory of sustainability, principles of sustainable materials, natural and artificial lighting and control systems, and integrated environmental systems design. It also covers indoor air quality as well as green textiles, furnishings, and decorative elements. The program includes two studio courses designed to integrate acquired knowledge and research while exploring both residential and nonresidential environments.
- The program can be completed on a full-time or part-time basis.
- All classes are in the evenings and on weekends.
- The program is offered onsite and online (live classes delivered via video conferencing at set class times).
- Requires a degree in interior design, architecture, engineering, or a closely related field and an advanced portfolio.
MPS-S Curriculum (30 Credits — based on full-time study)
- 725 History & Theory of Sustainability in the Interior-Environment (2 credits)
- 726 Principles of Sustainable Design in the Natural Environment (2)
- 728 Designing the Green Interior (2)
- 733 Sustainable Soft Goods (2)
- 742 Sustainable Studio I — Residential environments (4)
- 736 Materials & Finishes for the Sustainable Interior (2)
- 738 Constructing the Green Interior (2)
- 743 Sustainable Hard Goods (2)
- 749 Environmental Systems for the Sustainable Interior (2)
- 752 Sustainable Studio II — Contract Environments (4)
- 734 Principles of Daylighting (2)
- 744 Green Lighting, Energy, & Controls (2)
- 748 Maintaining the Green Interior (2)
MPS-S students’ Virtual Reality (VR) projects
MPS-S Program Level Learning Objectives:
Graduates of the MPS in Sustainable Interior Environments are expected to demonstrate that they will be able to:
- Develop appropriate regional design decisions that are informed by the history, culture, economy, and material resource considerations of the natural and built environment.
- Examine passive and active approaches to achieving environmental comfort and efficiency control systems that enhance sustainability.
- Evaluate principles and concepts of designing, constructing, and maintaining a green interior through benchmarking systems such as LEED and the WELL Building Standard.
- Design residential and contract interior environments through informed architectural and decorative decisions that support positive occupant satisfaction, productivity, and performance.
- Apply sustainable procurement practices by specifying green materials and finishes, and evaluating the use of non-toxic, recycled and recyclable building product.
- Engage in green project management practices that support the implementation of an integrated project delivery system.
About the School
New York School of Interior Design prepares aspiring interior designers and working professionals to be leaders in the field by providing a focused and immersive interior design education drawing upon ... Read More