The Master in Theory and History of Art and Cultural Management is proposed in order to provide training for professionalizing character and research in Theory and History of Art and Cultural Management graduates and graduates in arts and humanities-oriented cultural management.
The Master's Degree is intended to provide a professional training and research in Theory and History of Art and Cultural Management to graduates and graduates in arts and humanities oriented to cultural management.
This Master's Degree is an adaptation of the studies contained in the doctoral program Open Scenarios: the multicultural in art and music, whose last edition took place in the academic year 2008-2009, and was offered as Own Title with the denomination of Master in Advanced Studies in Theory and History of Art and Music, and Cultural Management in the academic year 2009-2010.
- The degree has an academic orientation as a complement to the formation of the Degree and the current Degree to be extinguished through the acquisition of complementary professional skills of the general contents of the degree in matters related to the areas of work of the arts in areas related to architecture, urbanism, figurative arts, music, history of cinema and audiovisual arts, museology and heritage management.
- The degree consists of a theoretical itinerary oriented to the research activities in theory and history of art and another itinerary leading to the specialization in cultural management. Through the creation of both itineraries two itineraries are guaranteed, one in a professionalizing aspect and another one that allows the subsequent incorporation to research activities.
- The professional interest is oriented to a specialized training in theory and history of the arts that responds to the growing demand in cultural mediation in the arts from the perspective of relations with the public, the art market, culture as a living spectacle and the holding exhibitions, at the local, regional, national and international level. From this perspective, the title is aimed at training technicians of cultural projects with mastery of multimedia resources, cultural mediation, project management and knowledge in theory and art history.
- The scientific interest is based on the different work areas of the basic and applied research lines of the arts and their contemporary interpretation of the discipline of today. It is the formative framework that guarantees the necessary continuity of research in the history of the arts of the research group of the doctorate program of Art History of the district, with a previous history to the creation of the degree of the Degree in History of Art.
- Both proposed aspects are justified by the social and professional demand in the discipline of Art History, which has been increased in Spain and in the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands as a result of the development of the competence framework articulated by the Constitution, the Law of the Spanish Historical Heritage and the process of transfers to the Autonomous Communities. The demand for professionals in the discipline of Art History has been growing in relation to the work of research, scientific dissemination and dissemination of historical and cultural heritage.
- Both orientations in the justification of the degree from a professional and research perspective are guaranteed by the theoretical-practical teaching content programmed, and especially, by the Plan of external internships and the Master's Thesis associated with them, whose evidences are included in the documents whose processing has been completed with the main public centers and some private ones of the Autonomous Community of the Canary Islands. To highlight the writings of support of Tea-Tenerife Space of the arts dependent on the Cabildo Insular de Tenerife, the Caam-Atlantic Center of Modern Art dependent on the Cabildo Insular of Gran Canaria and the Art Center La Regenta of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, depending on the Vice-Ministry of Culture and Sports of the Government of the Canary Islands, the institutional support of the Deputy Minister of Culture of the Canary Islands Government, or the one manifested by Artemisa Ediciones.
Entry and exit profile
The income profile of the Master in Theory and History of Art and Cultural Management will preferably aimed at graduates / graduates in art history, music Sciences, Philosophy, Philology and Fine Arts. also offer other graduates in related areas, such as social science graduates or graduates in Journalism, Education, Economics, and Information Sciences. Also for related degrees such as Architecture.
Consequently, the income profiles will be:
1 st. Graduates or graduates in History of Art, Humanities, Fine Arts, Architecture, Superior Degree of Conservatory, Degree or Degree in History and Music Sciences and Musical Teaching. Higher degrees in Dramatic Art. Also, degrees related to pedagogy and communication.
2º. Graduates from foreign universities with qualifications that are considered equivalent to those indicated in the previous point.
3º. Future graduates of training equivalent to any of the aforementioned degrees.
Students from the EU or other countries of the EHEA, as well as from other places in the world, must provide an equivalent degree of the indicated qualifications, homologated or homologable, complying with the regulations in force in the ULL in this regard.
The professional specialty in History of Art and Cultural Management requires students to familiarize themselves with the current state of art and its appreciation of the debates around museology, museography and cultural mediation.
It also requires mastery of the skills of collective work, writing and oral skills, as well as handling at least the basic level of one of the European languages at least English. It is also an additional guarantee for interested students to have previous experience on the ground in any of the activities planned between practical concepts.
In particular, the title is aimed at those interested in:
- Trades of conservation, of the valuation and animation of culture, cultural services of territorial entities, of the private and associative cultural sector, curating of exhibitions, project manager-museographer, conception and supervision of the production of publications (brochures, dossiers of press, pedagogical supports, catalogs).
- Conception of lecture series, conception and realization of activities and pedagogical documents, mediation, conception of cultural events, thematic visits. Production of works, inventory and preventive conservation.
- Jobs in public or private institutions such as: museums, ecomuseums, scientific and technical culture centers, cultural associations, cultural services and heritage addresses of territorial institutions.
Graduates who have chosen the research option Research Methodologies in Theory and History of Art will be trained in writing about the history of the arts, and particularly in the diffusion of the arts through the analysis of texts from different streams, Of writing, its transference in editorial products and, eventually, its diffusion in means of communication.
Those who have chosen the professionalizing option Cultural management will be specialized in the field of curating, art criticism and cultural management, in its varied demand for experts in documentary, inventory and cataloging, diagnosis of collections, appraisals, technical reports, etc.
- Knowledge and understanding that provide a basis or opportunity for originality in developing and / or applying ideas, often in a research context.
- That the students can apply their knowledge and their ability to solve problems in new or unfamiliar environments within broader (or multidisciplinary) contexts related to their field of study.
- That students are able to integrate knowledge and handle complexity, and formulate judgments based on information that was incomplete or limited, includes reflections on social and ethical responsibilities linked to the application of their knowledge and judgments.
- That students know how to communicate their conclusions (the knowledge and ultimate reasons that sustain them) to specialized and non-specialized audiences in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Students must possess the learning skills that enable them to continue studying in a way that will be largely self-directed or autonomous.
- Capacity for the collection and selection of documentary sources of diverse nature (manuscripts, printed matter, iconography, interviews, field survey) of interest for a management or research topic.
- Adaptation to the use of various resource centers (archives, conservation sites for works and documents, museums, film libraries, cultural services).
- Elaboration of a specific method of analysis adapted to the arts (comparative, statistical, conceptual, iconographic).
- Ability to synthesize, master the processes of writing development and conceptualization in the discipline of art history that contribute to the preparation of technical products and elaboration for culture and research.
- Carry out a project in a given timeframe according to a sequential plan.
- CTR1 - Knowledge and application to the field of Art Theory and History of methodological innovation systems with a permanent commitment to update.
- CTR2 - Domain of computer resources management and research in art history: word processing for editing a work of synthesis, and the nature of the research: tables, databases, image processing.
- CTR3 - Ability to develop a comprehensive dossier synthesis accompanied by a selection of supporting examples that can be evaluated as previous experience in management and research tasks.
- CTR4 - Developing a personalized study object interpretive perspective, thematic and chronological analysis in art history with purpose of cultural management or research. eventually consider the values for fundamental rights and equality between men and women, to the principles of equal opportunity and universal accessibility for people with disabilities and the values of a culture of peace and democratic values.
- CE1 - Know major recent changes in the research of the arts.
- CE2 - Analyze and synthesize documents, images, works; prioritize the information and documentation as part of a process of redrafting custom.
- CE3 - Know broadcast channels, magazines and electronic media to spread the art and know compile a documentation which reveal their critical and analytical aspects in terms of cultural management and research methodologies in theory and art history .
- EC4 - Know the large joints of art history and be able to establish the relationship between the issues raised by the arts and research tasks and cultural management.
- CE5 - Know the theory and methodology of art history and theoretical interpretation applied in the analysis of works of art, with ability to develop original arguments tools.
- CE6 - Know how to synthesize, summarize knowledge, know-how the dossier of an interview with an author or an artist, equivalent to an interpretive study or research management purposes.
- EC7 - Know how to build a reflection on an artist work and articulate in theoretical research.
- EC8 - Be able to analyze the iconography and plastic structure of works of art and knowledge place them in their historical context, a guidance to the independent work of students against management activities and research methodologies.
- EC9 - Mastering the design and creation of professional working methods of art history aspects of cultural management and research methodologies: inventory sheet, card catalog, documentary dossier, valuation report, appraisal.
- CE10 - Being able to define their own projects.
- CE11 - Experience in interpreting the creative resources in many artistic media (painting, sculpture, mass media, video, new technologies ...) and be able to master its main parameters with a view to its transmission through a personal expression.
- CE12 - organize, install, give a presentation on its proposal speculative dimension of cultural management and research project methodologies theory and art history.
- CE13 - Program cultural projects and develop its contents in a context aimed at cultural management activities.
- CE14 - Know clearly writing a research report, dominate the diversified cultural applications written for informative, technical or artistic nature in relation to language arts.
- CE15 - Know how to access databases, web sites, libraries, archives and other information resources, to conduct an investigation and know how to configure results produced from incomplete or limited information.
- CE16 - Learn to orally present a communication in public and know conceiving a visual document of support, slideshow, video ... proprietary contents of diffusion in cultural management and communication of content research methodologies theory and art history.
- CE17 - Dominate electronic resources basis for drafting and tune memory, consisting of a project results in cultural management or a proposed research methodologies in theory and art history.
Orientation and tutoring
Each year a guide will be prepared which will include detailed information about the Faculty (Library, Teaching Classrooms, Computer Rooms, Departments, Faculty ...), master's degree curriculum (Structure, Compulsory Subjects, Optional Subjects, Subjects Basic, Final Master Project, Credit Recognition ...), academic regulations (Internal Regulations, Graduate Commission and specific Commissions, Claims, Group changes, use of facilities ...), teaching organization of the course (Schedules, Exam Calendar, Groups ...) and detailed teaching programs of all subjects.
This guide and all the regulations and related documents (including the Teaching Guides of the Subjects) will also be available on the ULL website, on the website of the Faculty of Geography and History and also on the website of the Department of Education. History of art.
The University of La Laguna counts among its services with one dedicated to Information and Guidance (SIO) of its students, which has two specialized consultancies, one Educational and one Legal, in addition to the Information Unit.
- Academic and administrative information: access routes to the University, requirements and minimum access notes, enrollment procedure, study plans, transfer of academic records, simultaneity of studies, permanence regulations.
- General information on the organization of the University: centers, services, management and participation.
- Information about scholarships and grants, prizes, contests, various activities (courses, conferences, cultural activities).
- Information on summer courses at Spanish universities.
- The Service has a university documentation fund for consultation: University guides, Postgraduate and Third Cycle guides, guide of courses and scholarships abroad, information dossiers of the Ministry for Public Administrations on public employment offer, grants, subsidies, etc. ., university magazines and professional colleges.
The teaching staff of the University Master's will be available to students during the established tutorial hours and they can be consulted through the website. This page, in addition to the official website of the ULL, are the main source of information for students, both before starting their studies to have a thorough knowledge of the process of access and admission, as well as during their academic stage.
On the other hand, the administration and services personnel assigned to the department responsible for the master's degree, as well as the personnel assigned to the Faculty of Geography and History, provide direct support in this task. Students will also have the support of the Academic Director of the master's degree, as well as other students who have obtained their degree in the previous courses.
The support systems will include:
- Welcome process and reception of the students: it will take place the week before the beginning of module I of theoretical teachings. Information will be gathered about the particular difficulties of the students enrolled and the collaboration mechanisms will be established to guarantee the normal follow-up of the activities to be developed by the students.
- Assignment of internship tutors: Before the start of the activities of modules II and III, the application process for the internship will take place and the work plan of each student will be established in coordination with the head of the entity collaborator
- Assignment of master tutors: The student work plan has been established, the Academic Committee will assign a tutor responsible for the direction of the final master's work to be carried out for each student enrolled, among the teaching staff that teaches the degree.
As a guarantee of specialization and acquisition of competences and procedures oriented to the labor insertion of students, a program of external internships is established in a competent and varied list of institutions, entities and companies within the Autonomous Community. They are present, archival and documentation, art collections, museums, art centers, foundations, production entities, management and dissemination of photography, music and film. In each of these entities has managed the possibility of including a number of places for the two itineraries of professional intensification and research, either in production departments and temporary exhibitions or conservation departments and documentation.
The final master's work will consist of an individual work that must have a theoretical and / or practical character and be unpublished and original, in order to present in it the knowledge and skills acquired in the master. The final master's thesis will be directed by a tutor (or several tutors) and will be defended before an evaluating tribunal constituted by professors who teach in the degree.
The master's degree final project, which must be submitted one week before your defense, is a document that can develop two types of content:
- The results of a case study, consisting of a report, dossier, case study, or results corresponding to a professional activity derived from the qualification provided by the degree through external internships and a supervised work.
- The memory or master's research work: It is a work modality that entails the proposal of a subject of study that, whether it represents an updated contribution or a proposal for future research, represents the conclusion of the concepts and processes acquired in the degree studies. It will have the characteristic structure of this type of work: introduction - status of the issue - proposal of study by phases - bibliography.
About the School
La Universidad de La Laguna ha ejercido una importante función de liderazgo educativo, científico y cultural en Canarias durante sus dos siglos de historia, impulsando el progreso de nuestra comunidad ... Read More