Master in Business Economics Catolica Porto Business School
The Master in Business Economics is an international programme offered in English. It is suitable for bachelors in economics, management and engineering with the ambition of becoming top professionals of organisations.
The programme aims that future professionals acquire advanced and cross-cutting knowledge in economics and management and develop analytic and soft skills that allow them to support organisations in their processes of decision-making, innovation, and strategy. It prepares future professionals to work in multidisciplinary and international teams and grasp complex issues, with a critical view and analytical and innovative capacities.
The Master Final Assignment is seen as an opportunity to approach organisations. Internships and projects are oriented to answer research questions of interest and/or solve specific problems of organisations.
The Master in Business Economics offers international exchange experiences with the vast network of universities of the world with which Católica Porto Business School has partnerships. It also provides access to the Double Degree with Lancaster University Management School.
The Master in Business Economics is suitable for those interested in pursuing a professional career as consultants and managers of organisations: private, public or third sector; small and medium enterprises and also large companies; national or international; operating in urban or rural territories. Thanks to the vast network of organisations with which Católica Porto Business School has partnerships, many internships are offered at home and abroad. Internships can be entryways to jobs after graduation.
The programme is also suitable for those interested in pursuing international doctoral programs in economics or management at renowned universities. Sometimes, the Master Final Assignment evolves to a paper published in an international scientific journal with peer review and indexation.
The Masters in Business Economics will work with a daytime group. The classes are from Monday to Friday from 8:30 to 18:30. The calendar which schedules all classes is announced to the students at the beginning of each semester.
In the case of courses taught by invited professors a concentration of classes may occur in only a few days, but with a more intensive schedule. In these circumstances classes will be scheduled well in advance, allowing time to take the necessary measures.
The Masters at the Católica Porto Business School has a single, but flexible attendance regime. The curriculum is designed so that the programme has a minimum of three semesters (one year and a half). However, for students who wish to obtain a Masters degree while maintaining their professional activity, you can perform the Masters within a maximum of 5 semesters (two and a half years), which allows you to distribute the academic load over an extended thus conciliating the schedules and professional load with the Masters. The beginning and end of semesters are published annually in the academic calendar of the 2nd cycle of the Católica Porto Business School (see Academic Calendar).
All subjects may be taught in English, depending on the number of foreign students.
Lectures of the Masters of the Católica Porto Business School take place at Universidade Católica Portuguesa in Porto.
Entry Requirements Graduates from different scientific areas can apply to the Masters of the Católica Porto Business School and must meet one of the following requirements
a)Hold a higher academic degree (foreign higher academic degrees included) awarded following a 1st cycle of studies organized according to the principles of the Bologna process by a State adhering to this process;
b)Hold a foreign higher academic degree, that is recognized by the Scientific Council of the CPBS as satisfying the objectives of the degree of “licenciado”;
c)Hold an academic, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized by the Scientific Council of CPBS as meeting the requirements to carry out the master’s degree that they apply to, when they do not meet the requirements referred to in points a), b) and c);
It is strongly recommended that students possess the B2 (The Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of References for Languages) English language competency prior to commencing their studies. Proof of English proficiency is not required but is encouraged.
Applications - 2023/24
Applications for Masters of the Católica Porto Business School are permanently open.
The Admissions jury of Católica Porto Business School meets three times a year to assess the applications according to the following schedule:
August 25 to
International Applicants For international applicants who need a visa and/or legalization of documents in their country of origin, it is strongly recommended to apply in the 1st call, so that they have the necessary time to obtain it.
Documentation for the Application Process
- Identification Document photocopy
- One photograph
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Detailed* Qualifications certificate (original or certified copy)
- Official diploma of English, official level B2 of The Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of References for Languages, or equivalent diploma. (Católica Porto Business School graduates are exempted from the delivery of this diploma).
- Complementary evaluation elements (e.g., GMAT ...)
*Certificates must specify the courses taken, their assessment and ECTS, and the final grade of the course. If you have not completed a degree, you must present a certificate of the courses taken, their assessment and ECTS, and the current average.
- Applicants who held a degree in a foreign country must submit the certificate of qualifications: a) legalised by Portuguese diplomatic or consular authority, or b) with the Hague Apostille issued by the competent authority of the issuing country, if that country has acceded the Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalisation for Foreign Public Acts (the Hague Conference).
- When the documents are written in a foreign language other than Spanish, English or French, the respective translation is due which, in the case of the certificate of qualifications, must be made pursuant to the notarial law.
Submission of Proposals
Applications may be submitted by hand delivery at Católica Porto Business School Academic Office and Loja do Candidato* or by filling the online application form here.
If sent by online application form, the original documents should be presented before the registration date.
- Submitting the application: Free
- Acceptance and enrolment in the Masters: € 630. The fee will not be refunded in case students cancel their enrolment.
- 1st year fees (curricular part: 60 ECTS): 10 instalments of €552
- 2nd year fees (dissertation, project or internship: 36 ECTS): 5 instalments of €662,40
NB: These values are calculated in accordance with the fees established for the academic year 2022/23
The Board of the Católica Porto Business School decided to create a set of Scholarships for the purpose of rewarding the merit of the students whose academic performance deserves it. These consist in total exemption from tuition fees up to a maximum of 36 ECTS per semester and also from the enrolment and tuition fees.
The merit scholarships can be renewed each semester. The eligibility criteria for the award of scholarship in the 2nd and 3rd semester master are:
- Completion of a minimum of 30 ECTS per semester with no failures in the normal or resit assessment period.
- Weighted average of the marks obtained in all the subjects concluded in the previous semester to the award of the scholarship equal to or greater than 16.0 values.
Students who complete the degree in a foreign higher education institution will only be eligible for scholarship award if they present a GMAT with a score of at least 650 points.