MSc Biotechnology for Building Bio-based Economy
EUR 8,909 / per year
15 May 2024
Earliest start date
- Candidate’s profile: French, European and international students with a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, biotechnology, or chemical engineering
- Teaching language: English
- Duration of training: 2 years full-time
- Training sites: University of Toulouse, France; M1 semester 2 abroad at select partner Universities
- Internship: M2 – 2nd semester – 6 months in an industrial company or laboratory research in France or abroad
BioTechEco Master completes the current offer because none of the existing masters form students with the pluri-competence “biology/chemical engineering/economics”.
The international master’s program focuses on Industrial Biotechnology and Processes for Bioeconomy and encompasses integrated learning in life sciences, chemical engineering, bioprocess engineering, sustainability, environmental regulations and economics, bioethical issues. The attractiveness of this educational program lies in producing graduates students with cross-disciplinary skills and expertise suitable for international careers in the emerging field of a sustainable bio-based economy.
BioTechEco is is a two-year full-time master’s program consisting of 120 ECTS, entirely taught in English and designed for international and French University students.
The program offers high-quality teaching from renowned professors, a truly multicultural work environment with students coming from all over the world, and genuine experiences within the research and industrial worlds.
1st semester: at the University of Toulouse: 30 ECTS
This semester represents 500 hours of courses: 250 hours of lectures/tutorials & 250 hours of practice: 30 ECTS
- Integration package (French language and culture)
- System biology I, Synthetic biology and Enzyme systems I: 6 ECTS
- Biochemical engineering I and Upstream and downstream bioprocessing I: 5 ECTS
- Ethical issues I and Bioeconomy I: 4 ECTS
- Practical training in research laboratories: 15 ECTS
2nd semester: abroad at select Partner Universities: 30 ECTS
- System biology II, Microbial systems and Upstream and downstream bioprocessing II: 5 ECTS
- Bioeconomy II: 25 ECTS
3rd semester: at the University of Toulouse: 30 ECTS
- Life cycle assessment and Ethical issues II: 5 ECTS
- Biochemical engineering II and Enzyme systems II: 5 ECTS
- Entrepreneurial skills and leadership: 2 ECTS
- Bioprocess Design and Project management: 8 ECTS
- Practical courses: 10 ECTS
4th semester: at the University of Toulouse or abroad: 30 ECTS
- 6-month in an industrial company or in a laboratory research team from the university consortium involved in this program 30 Assessments comprise course examinations, written laboratory reports, workgroups, and presentations depending on the module.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
4 000€ scholarships may be awarded, once the student is admitted, depending on academic record and financial needs.
French, European, and international students with a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences, biotechnology, or chemical engineering.
At the end of the master's, the graduates will have cross-disciplinary skills allowing them to access international careers in the emerging field of a sustainable bio-based economy, a growing sector offering new jobs in green chemistry, health, bioenergy, water, and waste treatment, biomaterials cosmetics.