ÅBO AKADEMI UNIVERSITY Breaking boundaries
- Swedish-language university in Finland
- Inspiring – International – Individual
The task of Åbo Akademi University is to provide an open university environment for quality research and studies with a Nordic and international anchorage. Åbo Akademi University is particularly tasked with educating Swedish- speaking experts to satisfy the future needs in Finland.
By breaking boundaries Åbo Akademi University, is widely noted for a scholarship at the highest scientific level within its profile areas, and for a Swedish-speaking environment for internationally competitive research and education.
ÅAU in a nutshell
- Founded in 1918
- Campuses in Åbo, Vasa and Jakobstad.
- Activities also in the Åland Islands
- 5,500 undergraduate students
- 780 postgraduate students
- A total of 1,200 employees, 650 working in education and research
- Overall annual budget ca 101 million euros
- 38 million external funding
- 1,400 scientific publications annually
- Top quality education and research
- An acknowledged position at the forefront of research in biotechnology, computer science, chemical combustion, human rights, material sciences, process chemistry and psychology
- Friendly and welcoming environment in the oldest university town in Finland
- Close to the unique, beautiful archipelago with over 20,000 islands
- Active student union
- Student apartments and rooms at a reasonable price
- Versatile student culture
- > 60 student associations
- ESN for international students
- Excursions, parties, language exchange, traditional student festivities
An international university
- 1000 international students
- About 380 of them are exchange students
- International students from 80 countries
- About 200 ÅAU-students abroad in different exchange programmes
- 6 international masters programmes taught in English.