Founded by a female missionary dispatched from Canada 136 years ago, Toyo Eiwa has continued to provide Christian education for women all the way to the present day.
The history of Toyo Eiwa goes back to 1884. Since its establishment, the school has provided Christian education for women for 136 years. Toyo Eiwa was founded by the Woman’s Missionary Society (WMS) of the Canadian Methodist Church. The WMS, organized in 1881 with the aim of preaching the gospel in Japan, and having a strong interest in providing Christian education for Japanese women, sent its first female missionary, Miss Martha Julia Cartmell (1845-1945), to Japan.
Miss Cartmell came to Japan in 1882 and lived in the foreign settlement in Tsukiji. She learned Japanese and taught the Bible. In 1883, Dr. George Cochran, a missionary, and Dr. Davidson Macdonald, a medical missionary, who had come to Japan for the Canada Methodist Mission, decided to purchase land for a boys’ school in Azabu and told Miss Cartmell that they would allow the WMS to run a school on part of that land.
Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan