We're on a mission to unleash all that's within you.
Futures that begin here might seem unassuming at first, but like the mighty Mississippi River that flows alongside our campus, they quickly gather strength. Growing. Surging. Until they're seemingly unstoppable.
At St. Cloud State, an education is about far more than an education. It will be an opportunity to explore ideas, seek out unique perspectives and embrace new challenges – all of which will help you unlock your true potential.
If you're looking for choice, we've got that covered. We have more than 200 undergraduate programs of study and more than 60 graduate programs, holding nearly every available national accreditation.
Founded in 1869, St. Cloud State has evolved into a comprehensive university on our 100-acre campus along the scenic Mississippi RIver. We're on a mission to unleash ideas, imagination, promise, and purpose.
At a Glance
Quick facts by the numbers
- Founded in 1869
- More than 10,000 students
- 100-acre campus located along the banks of the Mississippi River
- Beaver Islands, a group of more than 30 islands are immediately downriver from campus
- 200 majors, minors and pre-professional programs
- More than 60 graduate programs and degrees
- Two doctoral degrees in education
- 24th on Forbes magazine's “Best Small Places for Businesses and Careers."
- Forbes magazine's "America's Top Colleges."
- 200+ clubs and organizations
- Hundreds of courses offered online each semester
- 4-time Division II National Champions, Huskies Wrestling
St. Cloud Community
St. Cloud offers big-city culture and small-town charm on the banks of the Mississippi River in Central Minnesota.
Known as "The Granite City," St. Cloud is Central Minnesota's hub for arts, entertainment, health care, and education. The university campus is within walking distance of theater, live music and more.
The St. Cloud metropolitan area is 20th on Forbes magazine's 2019 “Best Small Places for Businesses and Careers." The City of St. Cloud has earned multiple awards for livability, city services, and amenities.
Local mass transit is free for St. Cloud State students on the Metro Bus system. The Metro Bus station near campus makes it easy to get to and from local stores and attractions. Through much of the year, there is a weekly farmers' market where you can buy locally-grown food.
Located an hour northwest of the world-class arts, entertainment, and shopping of Minneapolis-St. Paul, the University is also just a short drive from the best of what Mother Nature has to offer - including lakes, forests, and rivers.
Fox / Pexels
Accreditations and Memberships
St. Cloud State University is a member of many academic and professional associations, including the American Association of State Colleges and Universities, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education and Council of Graduate Schools in the United States.
It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association (30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504, 800-621-7440). It is also accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.
College of Liberal Arts
- The mass communications department is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (ACEJMC).
- The Applied Sociology concentration in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology is accredited by The Commission on Applied and Clinical Sociology (CACS).
- All College of Liberal Arts teaching licensure programs (Communication Arts and Literature, English, French, German, Spanish, History, Art and Music Education) are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Minnesota Board of Teaching.
School of the Arts
- St. Cloud State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD).
- The music department is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM).
- St. Cloud State University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Theatre.
- The Bachelor of Arts program in Theatre is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST).
College of Science and Engineering
- All College of Science and Engineering teaching licensure programs (Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Technology Education) are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Minnesota Board of Teaching.
- The chemistry program is approved by the American Chemical Society.
- The Biochemistry and Molecular Biology program is provisionally accredited by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
School of Computing, Engineering and Environment
- The Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program offered by the Computer Science Department is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC) of ABET. The program also follows the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) guidelines on the curriculum.
- The Atmospheric and Hydrologic Sciences department provides a meteorology program which meets the standards set forth by the American Meteorological Society and the National Weather Service.
- The Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, and the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, offered by the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET.
- The Technology Education degree is accredited by the International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA) and the Council of Technology Teacher Education (CTTE).
- The Technology Management degree is accredited by the Association of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (ATMAE).
- The Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Department offers bachelor of science degrees in Manufacturing Engineering and Mechanical Engineering that are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET.
- The Master of Engineering Management (MEM) program in the Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Department is certified by the American Society of Engineering Management (ASEM).
Herberger Business School
- The Herberger Business School is accredited by the AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business at both the bachelor's and master's degree levels.
School of Education
- The School of Education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- All teaching licensure programs are approved by the Minnesota Board of Teaching.
- The Educational Administration programs in the Department of Educational Leadership and Administration are approved by the Minnesota Board of School Administrators (MBSA).
School of Health and Human Services
- The Master of Science Communication Sciences and Disorders education program in speech-language pathology at St. Cloud State University is accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2200 Research Boulevard, #310, Rockville, MD 20850, 800-498-2071 or 301-296-5700.
- The Applied Behavior Analysis program in the Department of Community Psychology, Counseling and Family Therapy is accredited by the Association for Behavior Analysis (ABA).
- The master's program in Rehabilitation Counselor Education in the Department of Community Psychology, Counseling and Family Therapy is accredited by the Council on Rehabilitation Education.
- The School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- The baccalaureate degree in the nursing program at St. Cloud State University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, D.C. 20001. 202-887-6791.
- Athletic Training Education Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE).
- The Department of Social Work is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- The Medical Laboratory Science program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS).
School of Public Affairs
- The School of Public Affairs teaching licensure program (Social Science Teaching) is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and the Minnesota Board of Teaching.
Academic and Student Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc.
- Medical Clinic and Pharmacy Laboratory is accredited by the Commission on Office Laboratory Accreditation (COLA).
- Lindgren Child Care Center is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Medical Clinic and Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).
- The Senior to Sophomore Program has been awarded the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP) Accreditation.
Buro Millennial / Pexels
MN 56301-4498 St. Cloud, Minnesota, USA